Friday 19 April 2013

#37 - Kabuto Prawn Tom Yum Noodles


  • Brand: Kabuto Noodles
  • Flavour: Prawn Tom Yum
  • Cost: I was sent a promotional pack (usual price £2.50)
  • From: Kabuto
  • Description: A fresh tasting noodle dish with prawns, lime, coriander & chilli
  • Weight: 85g (450g when rehydrated)
  • Allergies: Gluten, Egg, Mollusc, Curastaceans, Fish, Soya, Milk

    Almost perfection...       Almost perfection...

I was very fortunate recently to be sent a promotional pack from Kabuto including their two new flavours, Prawn Tom Yum and Chilli Chicken Ramen. I've been away for a couple of weeks and I couldn't wait to come back and try them - so here we go!

As usual with the Kabuto brand we have entirely recyclable packaging with a 16oz double walled cardboard cup and foil lid. Preparation is simple; open, pour, cover, leave, stir, eat. The first thing I noticed was little prawns floating to the top and quite a few of them during the 'stir' phase - excellent! Then, there's some oyster floating about too and porcini mushroom, and chilli, and coriander - these really are high class noodles.

“How do they taste?” The answer is lovely. There's a real freshness about them which comes from the lime and coriander. The noodle to broth ratio is spot on and the overall flavour is complex but familiar.

“Do they remind me in any way of traditional prawn tom yum?” The answer is yes. Tom yum is all about the hot and sour flavours and the fact you get a good hit of chilli and a great sour note from the coriander, lemon, malt vinegar and kaffir lime is a great start. Of course I'm reminded of prawn as there's actually prawns in it and although you don't get a huge prawn flavour in the broth just having them around to chew on is great and when you do properly chew on one you find that they are really flavoursome in their own right.

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” The answer is pretty good. The chilli dancing on the palette is delightful and the hint of sourness that's left is really nice. I'm also well satiated, what a result these are!"

Conclusion – Very happy with these. No artificial gubbins to be found anywhere and a very authentic taste - they've done it again!

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 9.5/10 The only reason it isn't a ten for me is down to the packaging, there just isn't enough room to stir everything effectively in the pot. After I took the picture I put them into a bowl which was much easier and I was able to properly mix the ingredients around.

Disclaimer: Just because I was sent these by the manufacturer doesn't mean I'm automatically going to score them highly, they are worthy of this score in their own right - this is my opinion and nobody else's.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I can't wait to get some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] is the 2nd new flavour from Kabuto. My last review was for the Prawn Tom Yum and they’ve topped the list so far. These have got a lot to live up to, not only are Kabuto [...]

    ReplyDelete