Wednesday 24 April 2013

#40 - Koka Chicken Flavour Noodles


  • Brand: Koka Noodles
  • Flavour: Chicken Flavour
  • Cost: £0.89
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: N/A
  • Weight: 70g (unknown when rehydrated)
  • Allergies: None Listed

    I HATE PLASTIC FORKS!                I HATE PLASTIC FORKS!
OK, so here's another new brand for me, Koka Noodles, part of the Tat Hui Foods PTE Ltd company in Singapore. They have a website where you can learn about their product range, which is quite extensive. Unfortunately the packaging isn't very explanatory with regards what's in the pot with terms like 'Spices', 'Flavourings' and listing only E numbers as oppose to the full ingredient. In this instance they contain E621, E627 and E631. I don't think I've come across all of these before but I'll do some hunting so if you head to the glossary you'll find a description of what they all are.

I've developed a couple of pet peeves along the way with writing this blog. One is people saying something tastes of meat without adding meat flavours, the other is plastic forks inside the pots. I can't say for sure that these guys haven't used some chicken in the product but I can definitely tell you there's a little plastic fork inside, grrrr! There is far too much packaging over all and I don't believe any of it is recyclable. However, it is simplicity itself to prepare so they'll get 0.5 points out of 2. An other thing to point out is the lack of nutritional information on the pack - none at all.

“How do they taste?” The answer is quite nice. You get a lovely flavoursome broth coating delicate noodles and a good amount of seasoning. The Asian makers of these products seem to have an edge on the budget producers in this country (UK) with regards flavour. You can pick out soy and a hint of spice and there's a lingering taste of chive at the end.

“Do they remind me in any way of a chicken dish?” The answer is yes and I can't tell you why that is due to the ingredients listing but they taste like noodles in a chicken stock - I don't think there's much more to say.

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” The answer is alright, there's a heavy dose of salt starting to come through but I'm full and did enjoy them so I'm pretty happy although this salt is getting stronger by the second. Quick drink of orange cordial though and it's gone - result!

Conclusion – I wish these manufacturers would put as much love into their packaging as they do their product.

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 6.5/10

2 comments:

  1. [...] that doesn’t like to list potential allergies and has 0% recyclable materials. However, the chicken flavour tasted pretty good so let’s see how we get on with the curry flavour. I believe there are [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are quite nice, I prefer their curry one though.

    ReplyDelete