Monday 29 April 2013

#43 - Koka Curry Flavour Noodles


  • Brand: Koka Noodles
  • Flavour: Curry Flavour
  • Cost: £0.89
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: N/A
  • Weight: 70g (unknown when rehydrated)
  • Allergies: None Listed

    Lots of flavour, lots of packaging           Lots of flavour, lots of packaging[/caption]
So it's back to Koka, the Singaporean noodle manufacturer that doesn't like to list potential allergies and has 0% recyclable materials. However, the chicken flavour tasted pretty good so let's see how we get on with the curry flavour. I believe there are other flavours in their potted range but Tesco only does these two, I'll have to search them out. One thing I have discovered is that they have dropped the use of MSG, unless you buy the product in the UK or Ireland - that's not right, surely...

No, there it is E621, or MSG to you and me - check out the glossary page to find out what all these non-food like ingredients we find in our products actually are! Apparently they only have the forks inside in the UK and Ireland too - this is ridiculous!

“How do they taste?” The answer is good. The curry flavour is what you'd probably associate as chip shop curry but it's also known as Chinese curry sauce or katsu curry sauce (Japanese). They're really moreish too, could be the MSG, but I think it's just the lovely taste, mmmmmmm..... Also, the peas, sweetcorn and carrot bits floating around give a great bit of texture.

“Do they remind me in any way of a curry dish?” The answer is yes as can be attested to above. Don't get it if you're looking for a balti but if you love katsu like I love katsu then these are for you.

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” The answer is good, not as much salt as in the chicken flavour but still a little bit too much left in my mouth. I'm full and ready to go!

Conclusion – Asian manufacturers, in the main, kick the UK manufacturers arses! The only thing is that we are lot more eco friendly over here.

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 7.5/10

2 comments:

  1. […] I had the vegetable flavour yesterday and they did alright, plus I’ve already reviewed the curry flavour pot which did rather well, so I’m looking forward to […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great, you can pick up the packet versions for 25p in UK discount shops that blow any supermarket "value brands" out of the water.

    ReplyDelete