Wednesday 15 May 2013

#49 - Nong Shim Champong Ramyun


  • Brand: Nong Shim
  • Flavour: Champong (spicy seafood)
  • Cost: I forgot to look, sorry... (I'll check and sort this out before too long)
  • From: Morrison’s
  • Description: N/A
  • Weight: 124g (674g when prepared)
  • Allergies: Contains Wheat, Soya, Sesame & Fish. Manufactured in a factory that uses crustacean, milk and egg

    Wow!        Wow!
The other day I reviewed another Nong Shim product, OoLongmen Chicken Flavour Noodles, and they got a good 6.5 out of 10. I came across these at the same time and I'm looking forward to them.

The preparation is easy, put everything in a pan with 550ml of boiling water and simmer for 4 and a half minutes - excellent. The packaging is completely unrecyclable - not so excellent. When you're taking the constituent parts out of the packets you are presented with a brilliant array of dried ingredients which contains dried fish cake, dried onion flake, dried green onion, dried pumpkin flake, dried carrot, dried mussel flake and dried seaweed - more excellence!

“How do they taste?” The answer is lush! The first thing you get is the seafood aroma followed by a large smack of seafood flavour and then the chilli comes through from the kimchi, there's also a lovely hit of pepper. Every now and again you are treated to a large piece of one of the dried ingredients ad they're lovely too. Looking at the ingredients it's not surprising how good these are, yes there's the usual E621, E627 and E631 (check the glossary if you're unsure what these are) but apart from that all other ingredients are recognisable as food including shrimp, sesame seed, cuttlefish seasoning, soy sauce powder, red pepper, garlic, pepper, onion and more.

“Do they remind me in any way of a traditional champong dish?”  The answer is I don't know, I've never had champong but I understand it is meant to be a spicy seafood dish. It's both spicy and tastes of seafood so I'd say job done!

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” The answer is happy! I think this is the most full I've ever felt after noodles, the seafood and spice are still lingering on the palette - excellent!

Conclusion – I need to go to Korea! If these guys had used recyclable packaging, that you could eat out of, they'd have scored a perfect 10

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment