Friday 17 May 2013

#51 - Batchelor's Mild Mexican Chilli Flavour Noodles


  • Brand: Batchelor’s Super Noodles
  • Flavour: Mild Mexican Chilli
  • Cost: £0.50 (reduced from £0.68)
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: Super Noodles in a tasty mild Mexican chilli flavour sauce
  • Weight: 100g (400g when prepared)
  • Allergies: Contains Wheat, Gluten, Celery, Milk

    Pah!           Pah!
I'm starving today, how disappointed was I to see that the only noodles left in the cupboard are Super Noodles, we haven't become very good friends as of the 3 I've reviewed so far none of them have scored more than 3 points. As I always so though, you've got to give each product a chance, so here we go.

No recycling here! 
No recycling here!

There is a sign on the back of the packet that makes you think the packaging is recyclable, until you actually read it - I mean what's the point of putting the recycling sign on something just to say that you can't recycle it? Preparation is the usual hob affair, chuck it all in a pot with 300ml of boiling water and keep stirring it on a simmer until the water's gone. As simple as this is I've found another problem with Super Noodles. You will be aware by now that I am no noodle novice but I consistently have had 'sticking to the bottom of the pan' issues with Super Noodles, no other product seems to want to weld itself to my cookware so why these?

“How do they taste?” The answer is bland! It's always the same, bland, bland, bland. There's a nice hint of smokiness running through them but that is the only flavour you get, apart from that of noodle.

“Do they remind me in any way of a mild Mexican chilli dish?”  The answer is no and no. It gets no twice as it neither reminds me of a bowl of chilli nor an actual chilli. All you can taste is smokiness. I should put a caveat in here, there is a chilli called chipotle which is very popular in Mexico. It is basically a smoke dried jalapeno and they're not that mild. It could therefore be possible that after creating this flavour someone at Batchelor's said "Do you know, that tastes a bit like a really mild chipotle chilli" and if that's the case then well done but as that is a flavour that isn't very popular around the UK I find the whole nomenclature of this product a bit weird.

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” Like I've been sucking on a BBQ. Bizarrely there's some heat coming through now which wasn't there before, the smokiness just suppressed it earlier it seems. Still, I'm still starving...

Conclusion – I'm so depressed by Super Noodles

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment