Wednesday 19 June 2013

#66 - Mama Mi Goreng Flavour Noodles

  • Brand: Mama
  • Flavour: Mi Goreng
  • Cost: £0.60
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: Stir Fried Noodles
  • Weight: 80g (480g when rehydrated)
  • Allergies: Wheat, Soy, Crustaceans and Shrimp


Mama noodles are without doubt one of my favourite brands, they always seem to do a fantastic job and put real care into the product. The next step I want them to go for is to put some real care into the ability to recycle their packaging because even though they're delicious and easy to prepare they're only ever going to get 0,5 out of 2 for the first round of scoring. If you don't know by now they get half a point for being easy to prepare, half a point if you can eat straight from the packaging, half a point if the packaging is part recyclable and another half point if they're totally recyclable.

Just so you know, prep with these is a simple as putting the noodles and the contents of 4 flavour sachets (yes, 4!) into a pan of 400ml boiling water and simmering for 3 minutes.

How do they taste? The answer is delicious, I really like these. There's a great chilli kick that surrounds the flavouring and what's really surprising is the amount of artificial flavours in here. Listed as artificial are: oyster, shallot and garlic. I'm not sure how you get those but I'm still impressed. The flavours are a little bit fishy, quite sweet and a lovely taste of onion. Lovely, I'm going 4 out of 4.

Do they remind me of traditional Mi Goreng? Mi Goreng is made with thin yellow noodles fried in cooking oil with garliconion or shallots, fried prawnchicken, or beef, sliced bakso (meatballs), chili, Chinese cabbagecabbagestomatoesegg, and acar (pickles). Ubiquitous in Indonesia, it can be found everywhere in the country, sold by all food vendors from street-hawkers to high-end restaurants. It is an Indonesian one-dish meal favorite, although street food hawkers commonly sell it together with nasi goreng (fried rice). It is commonly available at mamak stalls in Singapore and Malaysia and is often spicy. What they've managed to do here is very impressive and I'm giving them 2 out of 2. I realise there's no beef or chicken flavour but that isn't totally necessary anyway.

How do I feel now I've finished it? Honestly, before lunch I was feeling quite a bit under the weather but this has really woken me up. I feel full and ready to go, what more do you want? 2 out of 2.

Conclusion: Mama noodles rock!

Need 4 Noodles Score: 8.5/10 - another perfect score missed out on due to packaging!

No comments:

Post a Comment