Monday 28 January 2013

#5 - Batchelor's Mild Curry Deli Box Noodles


  • Brand: Batchelor's Deli Box Noodles
  • Flavour: Mild Curry
  • Cost: £1.00 (3 for £3 deal, normally £1.19 each)
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: A tasty and satisfying light lunch
  • Weight: 75g (255g when prepared)
  • Allergies: Milk, Egg, Wheat, Gluten, Mustard and Celery

    Not quite big enough....                                              Not quite big enough....
These come in quite nice packaging which is just a cardboard box. When you get inside you find loosely packed noodles and a sachet of flavouring. One thing I hadn't expected to see was the advertising on the pack stating that this little box contains 75% less fat than a Pot Noodle - seems like the noodle war is starting to get personal...

I've got to admit that up to this point I like them, the packaging is considerate to the environment (aside from the flavour pouch) and the instructions are clear. There's an easily distinguishable line on the inside of the box to tell you where to fill your hot water up to and once you've done that there's just a couple of stirs over the next 4 minutes and you're ready to go. There's no need to cover again, nothing, just pour, stir, leave, stir, leave, eat - excellent!

“How do they taste?” The answer is not bad at all. When you start the whole pour, stir process you look like you're going to be left with a soupy concoction but not at all. The water is soaked up into the noodles and powdered flavouring and you're left with a great noodley snack. The flavour isn't too strong but it's good and not too sweet. The addition of peas is a great idea because they pop in your mouth and add a great variety of texture.

“Do they remind me in any way of a traditional mild curry?”  The answer is yes. There is more than a hint of Chinese curry flavour and I like it. As previously mentioned the peas are a great addition too. I think one of the benefits this pot has over others is the ease with which you can stir the ingredients together when you're preparing it.

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” The answer is pretty good. I've not got any taste taking over my palette, the noodles are sitting well in my stomach and they've given me the energy boost I need to get on with an afternoon's work, whether they'll keep me going all afternoon is another question.

Conclusion – I'm quite impressed with these. OK, so there's no great exploration into the cuisine of another continent but they're honest. The flavour is mild curry and it's a good flavour. The packaging is excellent and preparation is easy. They're not the biggest snack portion I've seen though and this could be a concern...

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 6.5/10

5 comments:

  1. Shame they couldn't have put a bit more in there then, really! It seems as though that is the only quibble with this one. From the gap at the top of the container, it does look as though they could have included a bit more - but maybe you needed the space for the water? Still, worth a try, sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny, the water fill line is a good 3 cm from the top of the pot so there is room for more in there or, equally, room to save on some packaging. I would say though that there is a benefit to this pack as it really allows you to stir the ingredients together very well indeed - I still think I'd like more in it though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet what you've got there is a pack made to contain more - but with the rise in price of the component parts, they've probably reduced the contents to maintain the price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Mild Curry flavour that I tried earlier in the week boasted 75% less fat than a pot noodle, these are only [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] range and this is my fourth try of them. So far the other 3 flavours have averaged a score of 5.5 (Mild Curry – 6.5, Chicken – 5.5, BBQ Beef – 4.5). I have just found out today that the idea [...]

    ReplyDelete