Friday 8 March 2013

#29 - Batchelor's Chow Mein Deli Box Noodles


  • Brand: Batchelor’s Deli Box Noodles

  • Flavour: Chow Mein
  • Cost: £1.19
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: A tasty and satisfying light lunch
  • Weight: 75g (255g when prepared)
  • Allergies: Egg, Wheat, Barley and Gluten

    I wouldn't if I were you...                                                   I wouldn't if I were you...
There are 4 flavours in this range and this is my fourth try of them. So far the other 3 flavours have averaged a score of 5.5 (Mild Curry - 6.5, Chicken - 5.5, BBQ Beef - 4.5). I have just found out today that the idea behind these products was to market them towards female consumers and perhaps that's why they've put so much effort into making the packaging look appealing? If that's true then they've missed a trick as surely it's men who judge by sight, women are a lot more complex...

Anyway, the packaging is good, it looks appealing in it's New York takeaway box and it's all recyclable on the outside. When you get inside there's a flavouring pouch which is made from mixed materials so it can't be recycled. One thing about this is that the pouch is huge, surely they could make it a bit smaller especially as it's just going to go to landfill.

Unfortunately, as soon as I poured the water in I knew I wasn't going to like these. There's an aroma which I associate with AWFUL flavour that you only seem to come across when people are trying to mimic Chinese flavours - I'm sure I'll get onto this shortly.

“How do they taste?” The answer is a bit odd. If I could split my mouth in half and taste the two flavours that come through so strongly separately I think one side would be disappointed and the other side would be utterly disappointed. There's a horrible chemical favour coming through but looking at the ingredients I can't decide what it might be unless it's the malt extract???

“Do they remind me in any way of a traditional chow mein?”  The answer is hell no! A traditional (soft noodle) chow mein is a marriage of simple fresh flavours - this is not. Also, you'd think there might be some Asia flavours added but there aren't. Yes I would use oil, salt, onion and garlic when cooking a SE Asian dish but there'd also be things like soy, mirin, palm sugar, lime, lemongrass, water chestnut, chilli, fish sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin, and the list goes on. None of these can be found here and let's be honest I'd also use oil, salt, onion and garlic in Indian cooking, Italian cooking, Mexican cooking, etc...............

“How do I feel now I’ve finished it?” The answer is on the verge of anger. For £1.19 and all the effort they've gone to make it look nice why haven't they put any effort into the flavouring? WHY??? These could really take off I'm sure but this effort is way below average.

[caption id="attachment_224" align="alignright" width="150"]Appealing? Appealing?[/caption]

Conclusion – I'm glad I don't have to try any more flavours because the only one I really liked was the mild curry flavour. From the very start when you put your flavourings on top of the noodles you're left with a grey powder that really doesn't look very appetising at all. Add the water and it all turns dark brown and you're hit with THAT smell. Then the eating and that smell translates to THAT flavour.

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 3/10

2 comments:

  1. These are the most evil instant noodle product I have ever tasted, I totally back your comments to the hilt. Considering Batchelors make Super Noodles, you think they could get these right..wrong!..The chicken ones are slightly better, but the Chow Mein ones, are, as you say - foul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark, thanks for your comment. The thing I am really starting to see as a pattern is that you should only buy from Asian manufacturers (or Kabuto as they're UK based and consistently excellent). The market is so competitive in South East Asia that they really have to work hard if they're going to compete at all. We're just not as discerning as a nation - yet!

    ReplyDelete