Thursday 13 June 2013

#63 - Mama Shrimp Flavour (Tom Yum) Noodles

  • Brand: Mama
  • Flavour: Shrimp Flavour (Tom Yum)
  • Cost: £0.40
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: Oriental Style Instant Noodles
  • Weight: 60g (410g when rehydrated)
  • Allergies: Wheat, Soy and Shrimp


AWESOME!

First of all I need to avoid confusion, this is a shrimp flavoured, hot and sour soup. The term Tom Yum is dervied from two Thai words, Tom and Yam. The Tom refers to a boiling process and Yam relates to a Thai (or Lao) spicy and sour saladm thus Tom Yum is the term for hot and sour soup.

Now that's cleared up, let me say one thing - I love Tom Yum and I've been quite impressed with the Mama range of noodles, bring it on!

Typical Mama packaging, nothing is recyclable but I love how they give you a sachet of chilli powder so you can decide how hot to go. My opinion is "if it's in the pack, add it" which is good as I like spicy food. Prep is very simple, just add hot water, cover and leave for 3 minutes. As soon as you add the flavouring you get a real hit of citrus and chilli in the air - excellent.

How do they taste? The answer is good, very good! The chilli is quite intense, as is the citrus and the shrimp flavour manages to peak through over them both. It's a delicious bowl of noodles.

Does it remind me of Shrimp Tom Yum? The answer is yes, yes, yes! The main ingredients of Tom Yum are stock, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice, fish sauce and chilli peppers - you can taste something that tastes like each of these in this dish, and with the shrimp flavour there too I am really impressed.

How do I feel now I've finished? Apart from the horrible moment after seemingly trying to inhale the broth I feel great, love the flavours left on the palette, enjoyed eating it too. If anything this bowl of noodles has cheered me up when I didn't even realise I needed it.

Conclusion: AWESOME!

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 8.5/10 - had they have been in a recyclable packet, that you can eat straight from, these would have scored 10, they're really, really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment