Monday 17 June 2013

#64 - Ko-Lee Go Noodles Bomabay Masala Flavour

  • Brand: Ko-Lee Go Noodles
  • Flavour: Bombay Masala
  • Cost: £0.45
  • From: Tesco
  • Description: Delicious Noodles, Any Time
  • Weight: 65g (265g when made as a noodle soup)
  • Allergies: Soya, Wheat, Gluten

Back to Ko-Lee Noodles, this time it's another pot. I've already reviewed one pot (Tom Yum) and one packet (Xtreme Hot & Spicy) and both did really well in the Noodle LeagueThis version is Bombay Masala so I'm expecting some real Indian flavours in there, let's see. 

Prep is really easy, add 200ml boiling water for a noodle soup or 150ml for a noodle snack, as usual I went for the noodle soup. For some reason Ko-Lee insist on putting a fork in the pot. Normally I'd have a big rant about this but I'm going to temper that for once. The reason for this is that I've found out that in South East Asia you can get boiling water in all sorts of places for your noodles, I'm talking on trains, in shopping malls, all sorts of places. To this end I understand how a fork may be convenient - I'm still not happy about it but that's all I've got on the subject for today. The rest of the pack is unrecyclable but they still get one out of two for ease of prep and the fact you can eat straight from the packaging.

How do they taste? The answer is interesting. There's a good level of heat in there but it's not a proper chilli hit, it's more of a citric acid hit, not my favourite. According to the ingredients there's more chilli powder than citric acid in there. There's a funny flavour in there too which I can only guess comes from the tomato powder. It's not great but it's not bad, it's just a bit of a mess. Just 1.5 out of 4 here.

Do they remind me of a traditional Masala dish? The answer is no, they need many more spices than chilli and garlic powder to achieve that. There is a bit of an Indian taste profile but honestly, the flavour is a little like a slightly improved Bombay Bad Boy. That's 0.5 out of 2.

How do I feel now I've finished it? The answer is a bit disappointed, but satiated. 1 out of 2.

Conclusion: Ko-Lee should stick to SE Asian flavours.

Need 4 Noodle Rating: 4/10 (this score would have been the same as Pot Noodle's Bombay Bad Boy but Pot Noodles are entirely recyclable, adding the extra point from the first section)

No comments:

Post a Comment